101, Introduction to Sociology @QC
Readings for SPRING 2015, Professor Levine
page and the readings are on line at:
THE READINGS FOR THIS COURSE WILL BE IN TWO PHOTOCOPIED BOUND COLLECTIONS AVAILABLE FOR SALE BY THE SECOND WEEK FULL WEEK OF CLASSES.
The first two weeks readings are available below as pdf files that you can print out.
Just click on the underlined link and you will be taken to a pdf of the article. Print them out.
Part 1. Living In The Real World: Culture and Corporations Are Not As They Seem
2-4 - "Things Are Not As They
Seem To Be": The peculiarities and hidden
uses of cultural patterns
- important Things To Know About Preparing for Class and Exams, and What College Is
- Body Rituals of the Nacirema by
- Baseball Magic by George Gmelch
- India's Sacred Cow by Marvin Harris
2. Feb 9-11 - Society Inside of Us: Roles in Culture, Ethnicity, Socialization, and Internalization
- Cultural Responses to Pain by Mark Zborowski,
- Learning The Student Role: Kindergarten As Academic Boot Camp by Harry Gracy
- Culture - the Encarta Encyclopedia
Feb 16-18 (No
class Mod, Feb 16)
The Contradiction Between Corporate Profit and the Public Good:
What Happens when Corporations Are Not Regulated By Government?
- Love Canal by Michael Brown
- Pinto Madness by Mark Dowie
4, Monday FEB 23 Review -- Wednesay FEB 25 *****FIRST EXAM****
Click here for a study guide for the First Exam (coming)
Part 2: Health, Police, Wealth and Government Policy
2-4 - Health and Government Policy
- Teenage Pregnancy In Developed Countries by Jones et. al.
- Health care in crisis: does Canada have the answer? From Consumer Reports
March 9-11- Marijuana Arrests and Policing Are Not As They Seem (tentative)
- The Scandal of Racist Marijuana Possession Arrests - by Harry Levine - Oct 2013
- Race, Class and Marijuana Arrests in Mayor de Blasio's Two New Yorks - Harry Levine - Oct 2014
- Despite de Blasio’s Promise, Marijuana Arrests Persist in New York - Jim Dwyer, NY Times, Oct 2014
- No Progress on Marijuana Arrests - NY Times Editorial - Oct 2014
7. March 16-18 - Wealth and Inequality in America
- Inequality: Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% by Joseph Stiglitz
- The Great Wealth Transfer by Paul Krugman
- Helping The Poor, The British Way by Paul Krugman
8, March 23 - Review, Weds March 25 *******SECOND EXAM********
Click here for a study guide for the Second Exam (coming)
Part 3: A New Invitation to Sociology (TENTATIVE)
Readings from now on are excerpts from Peter Berger, Invitation to Sociology in the third collection and other articles. The Reader for this will be available after the first exam.
9. March 30-April 1 - Invitation to Sociology: Sociology as a Form of Consciousness
- Preface and Chapter 1: Sociology as a Past Time - (Things are not as they seem)
- Chapter 2: Sociology As A Form Of Consciousness - (Four Motifs: Debunking, Unrespectabiity, Relativizing, Cosmopolitanism) (25 pages)
10. April 13-April 15 - Social Control, Institutions, Stratification
- Chapter 3: The Individual in Society read twice (plus)
INCOMPLETE -- COMING SOON.
All final exams at the college, including ours, will be scheduled by the QC Registrar and held in the two weeks following the last class.
The time of the final exam is announced by the Registrar's office later in the semester.