Sociology101.net / Introduction to Sociology
@QC / Professor Levine
Culture, Roles, Institutions and Social Control:
Seeing Groups and People in the Real World
/ SPRING 2018
The readings listed below for this course in a reader available at:
Queens Copy Center, 65-01 Kissena Blvd. Across from the entrance to QC, below Gino's Pizza.
The reader will be available the first week of classes.
Ask for the Sociology 101 Readings for Professor Levine's course.
The first five readings are on line at www.sociology101.net
All others are in the printed reader (plus a few readings assigned later in the semester).
Part 1: Culture, Roles and Institutions
- 1.Body Rituals of the Nacirema - by Horace Miner / (on line – click title)
- 2.Sociology as a Way of Thinking About the World – by Jay Gabler (on line - click title)
- 3.Baseball Magic: Ritual, Taboo and Fetish - by George Gmelch / (on line – click title)
- 4.India's Sacred Cow and Its Economic Uses by Marvin Harris / ( on line - click title)
- 5.Important Things About Sociology, College, this Course and Exams / (on line -click title)
- 6.Cultural Responses to Pain - by Mark Zborowski
- 7.Women and Men in Conversation: “What Do You Mean?” – by Deborah Tannen
FEB 20-21 (no class Monday, Class on Tues and Wed)
- 8.Teenage Pregnancy In Western Countries - by Jones et. al.
- 9.Health Care in Crisis: Does Canada Have The Answer? - From Consumer Reports
- 10.Inequality: Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% - by Joseph Stiglitz
- 11.The Great Wealth Transfer - by Paul Krugman
- 12.The Wells Fargo Bank Scandal of 2016 – The New Yorker and the New York Times
- 13.The Republican Tax Plan Favors the Wealthy. Why? Paul Krugman
MARCH 12-14 - Review
MARCH 19-21 MIDTERM EXAM WED MARCH 21
Part 2: Institutions, Social Control and Inequality
- 14. The Scandal of Racist Marijuana Arrests – by Harry Levine
- 15. 60,000 Marijuana Arrests in Mayor de Blasio’s New York – Harry Levine & Loren Siegel
APRIL 2 – Spring Break
APRIL 9 (no class Wed)
- Return Midterm exams
- 16.Love Canal - by Michael Brown
- 17.Pinto Madness - by Mark Dowie
18.Nickle and Dimed – by Barbara Ehrenreich
- 19.Helping The Poor, The British Way by - Paul Krugman/
- 20.Over the Counter at McDonald’s - by Robin Leidner
- 21.The Secret of Jamaica's Runners – by Orlando Patterson
MAY 7-9 Articles to be assigned in class
MAY 14-16 Review – Last class May 16
Final exams to be scheduled by Registrar – From May 17 to May 23. The registrar will post the final exam schedule later in the semester.